The GWR 14XX Class is a class of steam locomotive designed by the Great Western Railway and was originally classified as the 48XX Class when introduced in 1932, but was renumbered in 1946.
The 14XX is one of the flagship locomotives of the GWR fleet, This tank locomotive was designed for branch line passenger and freight work. Although the design is attributed to Collett, much of the actual locomotive was derived from the earlier 19th century George Armstrong designed 517 Class.
These locomotives entered service in 1932, and all 75 were built and ran well into the 1960s with 4 surviving into preservation. These locomotives were often combined with an autocoach on many branch line operations.
The driving cab on the autocoach meant that the locomotive could be controlled from there and negated the requirement to run the locomotive round at the end of the journey. This format was known as a push-pull train. An ideal locomotive for any GWR based layout.
These great little models feature lots of details including external pipe work, directional lighting, and finely printed external logos and numbering.
- Die-cast running plate
- Flickering fire light effect
- Die-cast and profiled wheels
- Fully compensated die-cast chassis
- High level of separately applied detail
- Sprung metal buffers and articulated screw coupling
- Removable cab roof for ease of posing your locomotive crew
- Dapol’s proven motor and gearbox offering exceptional smooth performance and slow running capabilities
- Lionheart's Suburban B Set Coaches
- Dapol's Auto Coaches