The GWR Autocoach (or auto-trailer) is a type of coach that was used by the Great Western Railway for push-pull trains powered by a steam locomotive. The distinguishing design feature of an autocoach is the driving cab at one end, allowing the driver to control the train without needing to be located in the cab of the steam locomotive. This eliminates the need to run the engine round to the other end of the coach at the end of each journey.
When one or more autocoaches are connected to a suitably equipped steam locomotive, the combination is known as an auto-train, or, historically, a railmotor train. A steam locomotive provided with the equipment to be used as an autotrain is said to be auto-fitted.
The autocoach is the forerunner of the driving trailer used with push–pull trains.
This model is based on the six coaches numbered 36 to 41 constructed during 1907 under Lot 1126 to Diagram ‘N ’. All were built new as driving trailers and not later conversions from old steam rail motors.
Their short length of 59'6" long coupled to one of their 64xx pannier tank locomotives has a total model length of only 26" (662mm), perfect for limited space layouts.
They were used on branch lines from Cornwall to Wales and retained their gas lighting until withdrawn, the first in 1956, the last in November 1957. Number 38 is preserved on the Telford Steam Railway
- DCC Ready
- Light Bar Ready
- Sprung Metal Buffers
- Expertly applied livery
- Fully Compensated Chassis
- Diecast bogie frame with fine scale wheels
- Superbly detailed body with many added detailed parts