Intermodal container service is one of the most popular types of freight service on rails today. The Maxi-IV car is the mainstay of the U.S. domestic double-stack car fleet. Providing an optimum balance between tare weight and capacity, the Gunderson MAXI-IV is a 3-unit articulated double-stack car that can handle containers from 20-foot to 53-foot long in the well and containers 40-foot to 53-foot in the top, or double-stacked, position. As of a result of its versatility and sturdy construction, the MAXI-IV is now the mainstay of the U.S. domestic double-stack fleet. The popularity of this car on North American rails is underscored by its popularity with model railroaders today!
The powerful appearance of this articulated car will be achieved using a metal injection-molded frame, enhanced by the extensive detail of piping and patterned running boards. Like the prototype, the model will feature two different sized wheels! The two end trucks will have 33' scale wheels while the two middle trucks will have 38' scale wheels. This is done on the prototype for weight bearing reasons, with the greater weight of the load being borne by the wheels of the mid-car trucks than by the wheels of the trucks on each end. This model is supplied with Canadian Pacific 53' Containers
- Provides stable operation with or without container loads due to Kato’s new innovative heavier material steel compound plastic used for the construction of the well car.
- Each container has a magnet and a metal plate to hold it securely to the well car bottom or to the top of the lower Kato container
- Shock absorber construction provides smooth and stable operation, with or without the container loads. The KATO Kinematic trucks will maintain the prototypical appearance on straight track while delivering smooth operation on curved track
- Each 3-well MAXI-IV set includes six removable 53-foot containers, all of which are interchangeable with our other container sets or MAXI-I Well Cars (when loaded in the top position, just like the prototype).
- Our packaging is designed for the separated storage of the articulated unit, providing ease and security when not in use"