Home > 'N' Scale SUPERSTORE 'N' > Wagons / Freight Cars > British Railways > Osborn's Exclusives > Private Owner Wagons Special Commissions

OSBPO 002 " The Culham Connection"


Our Price: £18.95
Share on Facebook
Description
Comprises of 2 x 5-plank wagons based at Radley and Culham (GWR) Oxfordshire.
  • Dunsdon Bros. of Radley 
  • Ernest Franklin of Culham
both red 5-plank mineral wagons

"The old ticket office on Culham Station in Oxfordshire has been occupied since early 2014 by Entikera Ltd, who trade as MPfineartprinting. The station celebrated its 175th anniversary in June of 2019. Whilst the ticket office is no longer in railway use, the station itself is still busy with many commuters attracted by the nearby Culham Science Centre.

 Entikera are naturally keenly interested in the history and heritage of the old broad gauge era building and that of the station itself. They were very pleased therefore to receive the other day a sample of the latest 'N' gauge wagons produced as a limited special commission by Peco for Osborns Models in Bideford. The twin pack came well protected in a strong clear plastic box with specially cut foam packaging.

This pair of matching 5 plank wagons are based on available Peco mouldings and have been digitally printed to a high standard. The pack is marketed as the 'Culham Connection' and contains examples of two 8 ton coal wagons which were associated with local coal merchants and could well have been seen together bringing coal to this part of the Thames Valley. These small merchants have not been represented in commercially available model form before and so this pack offers a welcome addition to any modeller interested in the area. It is interesting to note that both Culham and Radley station buildings are also available as mixed media 'N' scale kits from Osborns under their Arch Laser brand.

The first wagon is based on one made by the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Company Limited for Ernest Franklin, Coal & Coke Merchant and was given the number 5 being delivered in late 1904. This merchant operated out of the yard at Culham Station but the postal address painted on the wagon, and clearly legible on the model, is given as Clifton Hampden, Abingdon. Clifton Hampden is a village just under two miles away where he lived, with Abingdon being the nearest postal town (actually in the opposite direction).

The other wagon represents one operated by Dunsdon Bros., Coal Coke & Corn Merchants of Radley, the next station down the line towards Oxford, and the one-time junction station for the short Abingdon Branch. This was also numbered 5 and made by the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Company Limited and was delivered in early 1915. Little is known about this merchant. Radley had fairly limited goods facilities and would have been overshadowed by the five or more sidings available at the Abingdon railhead where several merchants were based". 
 
Colin Taylor