Back in the 1950's most of the smaller fire stations were equipped with a pump and a Series 1 land Rover. The Land Rovers were equipped to suit the needs of each authority. They varied in their complexity and were built on 80-inch and 88-inch chassis. These small and easily manouvrable vehicles were capable of operating in restricted spaces that larger appliances could not reach. Many were later sold to works fire services or small airfields where they filled the role of first-response vehicles.